March Madness was not so mad this weekend, but other stuff still went on in the sports world.
1. We lost. To Baylor. Thankfully this tortuous season is over and we will never have to speak of it again. Let's move on to football.
2. Apparently, the women's NCAA tourney is more exciting than the men's because Tennessee lost in the first round for the first time ever. This goes to show Pat Summit, that frigid bitch, that she sucks. Every other first round win for UT was by 23+ points, except, of course, for this one, which they lost. UConn dominated whoever they played and will continue to dominate throughout the tournament.
3. On the men's side, we have almost no big upsets, save the Wake Forest debacle, that threatened the health of my bracket, that is until I realized that no one had ever heard of Cleveland State, and thus no one picked them. To beat the dead horse that is "March Madness ain't so mad this year" this is the first time in the history of the tournament that all the top 3 seeds in each region have made it to the Sweet 16. BOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGG. Though, I'll admit, the games have been pretty good and many came down to the last seconds. But I can't wait until Pitt finally snaps and they lose like they should have the last two games. Good thing I didn't pick them to win it all.
4. The US lost to Japan in the WBC, ending our time in the tournament. Japan is real good, but if they make Daisuke throw 98 effing pitches in another game that doesn't mean shit, I'm going to be very unhappy. This quote from Barry Bloom of MLB.com really hits a nerve regarding our standing in the baseball world:
And now it can't be ignored: The U.S. is no longer the undisputed leader of the game that was invented on its own soil.Ouch. Though, he does have a point. We think we're so good that we don't need to practice to improve or do anything other than rest on our laurels.
The Asian teams trained harder and for longer in preparation for this tournament, they take infield practice before every game and both are fundamentally sound and do whatever it takes as a club to win a game.I'm pretty sure this mindset reaches out past baseball and into other aspects of American life. But then again, Barry Bloom sounds like a communist name.
5. The New York sports talk jockeys are still going on about Jay Cutler and his possible trade to the Jets. And everyone wonders why these players are prima donnas. Perhaps, Mike Francesa and Boomer Esaison and Craig Carton and everyone else, it's because you won't effing shut up about him for one minute and you are personally making his head swell more than the steroids did to Barry Bonds.
6. The Iditarod ended and Lance Mackey won it for the third straight time. You know what the prize is for winning this grueling race in Alaska's harsh environment?
Sixty-nine thousand bucks and a shiny new pickup.That sucks.
That's all we got. I'm sure CGally will post something about our pathetic showing at the NIT soon. Don't forget to vote in our TV theme madness, here.